I belong to a generation who can actually remember a world without the internet. At high school, my library was filled with physical books (not a computer in sight), and I would love the texture and beauty of a brand new physical book in my hands.
I thought that I would never get into reading books on an app, or through some kind of electronic means. However, since publishing my book on Kindle a few days ago, I’ve been amazed at how professional and presentable each page looks as you flick through a book. Just check out these screenshots from my book here:
As you can see, Kindle books have numerous advantages over physical books, such as:
- Images are in full colour. A lot of physical books will contain black and white images as this reduces the manufacturing costs
- You can zoom in on images
- You can keep hundreds of books on your smart phone, tablet or Kindle device at once. Imagine carrying 100 physical books around with you!
- Kindle books often have a ‘text to speech’ feature, so you can ‘listen’ to your books
- Chapters are clickable: you don’t have to flick through loads of pages to get to a chapter
It looks like eBooks are here to stay. Are the physical book’s days numbered?